Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sarah Blackmore (nee Thomas)




1. Where are you living now?

A little town in central Alberta, Canada

2. Who do you still keep in touch with from our year?

Mostly Sam, via Facebook.

I would love to get back in touch with Nicole….are you out there buddy???

3. Where do you see yourself in another 15 years time?

WOW! I will be almost 50!! My oldest son Jacob will be 25, my daughter Anna will be 24 and my baby Orrin will be 20! That just blows my mind. I hope I will be a lady of leisure travelling the world! Realistically though I will probably still be taking care of at least one of my kids and will maybe have a grandbaby or two to love if my daughter changes her mind and wants kids instead of a bunch of cats!

4. What's your best/worst memory of Year 12?

I LOVED year 12, it was by far the best school year.

5. What have you still not learnt to do since Year 12?

Fractions!

6. Did you attend the 10 year reunion in 2005, and if so what did you think?

Unfortunately I did not.

7. Are you interested in a 20 year reunion in 2015?

I would absolutely love to attend a reunion, but can’t guarantee I would be able to attend.

8. What has changed about you in the last 15 years?

Well I have certainly had some weight gain…I would love to say that my freckles have faded, but that just may be wishful thinking! I have my nose pierced, which may surprise some people. I am a lot more organised. I live on the other side of the world, coming up seven years now. I was pretty ‘movie mad’ when I was in high school and wanted to get into the film industry working behind the scenes, but these days I can barely stay awake to watch a movie and would prefer to watch paint dry than the Academy Awards. I drive a minivan. I have been married for 11 years and have 3 kids, a dog, cat and a mortgage.

9. What has been the best/worst thing you've done/had happen to you?

This is going to sound corny, but the best and worst thing that has happened to me was the same event. Finding out that our baby had a severe form of Epilepsy and would most likely never be able to walk or talk and would be mentally handicapped was definitely a very low point for me, but nine years into the experience has taught me so much and led me to meet some of the most amazing people and had some wonderful experiences. I spent the first 5 or so years of his life trying to ‘fix’ him which is what lead us to North America. I have now come to accept Jacob for the very special little guy that he is. It is certainly not an experience I would wish on my worst enemy, but am grateful for it and can not imagine life any other way.

10. What big plans do you have for 2010?

I am currently in the process of buying a bakery and café in our area. We are just going through Due Diligence right now and hopefully will be doing what I love to do come the 1st June 2010!

Failing that I am thinking of coming to Australia for a visit or going on a family vacation to somewhere tropical during our awful winter.


11. If you could do it all again, what would you change about the last 15 years?

I am loving the fact that my kids are older, But to be honest, if I could have a do over I would definitely have waited a lot longer to have them. I was only 23 when my first was born and that just seems so young now. We just weren’t prepared for the ups and downs of a special needs child at such a young age. My husband Jesse and I love to travel, and given that hindsight is always 20/20, that would have been better for us to do before kids instead of after! I would have spent more time at the beach, enjoying Australia’s warm weather! Would have come over here with several years’ worth of Vegemite!

12. What has been your biggest achievement so far?

My kids (mind you we definitely have our days!)

Late last year a friend of mine and I organised a Benefit for a local family who have a teenager with Cerebral Palsy. They needed an adapted van for her wheelchair. We raised over $30,000 for the adaption. I am pretty proud of that.

13. What is your personal philosophy?

I try really hard to not make mountains out of molehills.

14. Some other interesting information about yourself?

*Halloween is my favourite Holiday. I get more excited about it than my kids. I dress up with them and go trick-or-treating. I make a really good witch, but thinking for this year we may do a Star Wars theme.

*I am really scared of mice and rats, in fact I blacked-out one time when I saw one (a mouse not a rat). I don't think I could ever leave Alberta for another province because Alberta is RAT FREE! And my kids will NEVER EVER EVER have any sort of rodent relation as a pet.

*I LOVE to move and if I had my way I would sell up and just live out of a suitcase so we could go anywhere at anytime we wanted.
*I hate the heat, but hate the cold too.

*Leonardo DiCaprio is one famous person that I would love to have lunch with.

*Our son had a wish granted almost 3 years ago. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. My dream is to have a foundation for disabled kids that aren't otherwise eligible for wishes because they don't have a life threatening condition. These kids and their families still have it rough and deserve a positive experience for their family.
*I hate my freckles and would absolutely die, in a good way, if I actually ever managed to get a tan.
*We have 2 cows and 2 sheep.

*Sometimes my eyes are green and other times they are blue.

*My weakness is salami, cheese and smoked oysters on crackers.

*I am on the Breton Fire Department.

*I run a support group for families with special needs kids.

15. What would your last meal consist of?

One of those souvalaki’s from that place in Fountain Gate, in the Food Court…oh I think Ali Babar or something like that…oooh those were good!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah, thanks for the encouraging comment. I think you have achieved a lot in your life, and I know how an illness in the family can be hard to deal with. I was diagnosed with MS at the beginning of last year, but I can't imagine watching a child go through sickness. I am starting a new job today as a stablehand, always loved horses, and now I get to work with them. I also have fair and slightly freckled skin, but after living in QLD for 2 and a half years I got a really good tan. So if you pick a place where the sun shines, even in winter, your skin might adapt like mine did! Take care and feel free to keep intouch by email: blinks.houston543@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete