Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Steve Ruffles





1. Where are you living now?
I'm currently living in London. Moved over here in 2005. I'm 2 months away from starting my 6th year of my 2 year working holiday.

2. Who do you still keep in touch with from our year?
I'd lost touch with the majority of people unfortunately after I moved here but luckily for me there's Facebook, so there's some people now I'm back in touch with.

3. Where do you see yourself in another 15 years time?
Not sure. I didn't think I'd be living in London after finishing year 12 so who knows what will happen in the future. I'd like to think that I've finally settled down somewhere in Oz. Whether I'm doing the same thing career wise is another matter.

4. What's your best/worst memory of Year 12?
Best memory of year 12 was our celebrations at the end. Everyone celebrated and it was that "yes we've done it" moment which particularly stuck in my mind. There were other moments too. Worst memory of year 12 was the 3 weeks leading up to the last lot of exams, knowing that it would determine whether I got the place for the university course that I wanted to do.

5. What have you still not learnt to do since Year 12?
I've still not learnt to speak another language. I wanted to learn German, Italian, French and/or Spanish but managed none of them. Can say hello but that's about it.

6. Did you attend the 10 year reunion in 2005, and if so what did you think?
I would have liked to but I had just moved to London a few months prior to the reunion. It was a pity but it was good to see the pics when they were posted on Facebook a year or so later. Brought back memories.

7. Are you interested in a 20 year reunion in 2015?
Would definitely be interested in a 20 year reunion in 2015, particularly after missing out the 10 year one. Whether I've moved back to Oz at that point I don't know though.

8. What has changed about you in the last 15 years?
I think overall I've mellowed more. I think like other people would have done I've had various stages where I threw everything I could into work, then with a change of scenery I lived my life more (travelling, drinking, etc...). Nowadays I'm more settled. Being married and shortly becoming a parent has definitely changed me for the better, although I think I'll donate my liver to medical science after I'm gone.






At Monaco











9. What has been the best/worst thing you've done/had happen to you?
The best thing I did was this holiday I did in 2004. Spending two months away in one stint opened my eyes and made me realise that there was more to life than what I was doing at that time. It made me want to explore. It was what gave me the courage to move to London and if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have met my wife (which is the best thing that's happened to me recently).

10. What big plans do you have for 2010?
It's one day at a time this year. Imminent arrival of first child so my wife and I will focus on him/her (don't know yet) then we'll work out what to do from there.

11. If you could do it all again, what would you change about the last 15 years?
I think if I could do it all again I'd have ventured out of Australia earlier. Nothing wrong with Oz and it'll always be home, but there's so many other things to see and do outside the country.

12. What has been your biggest achievement so far?
Biggest achievement so far has been getting through university unscathed. Completed my course and had progressed in my career to management level before taking a step back when I moved to London.

13. What is your personal philosophy?
Don't regret any decisions you make, even if they're wrong.

14. Some other interesting information about yourself?
Not got much else really to add about me.

15. What would your last meal consist of?
I'd probably have this slow braised lamb shank meal that I had on my wedding day. It was awesome.

My indoor cricket team.
steveruffles@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment